I just wrote half of this post and it all got deleted! So I’m sorry if this post is now lacking in words…I don’t really want to write it in full all again!
I was motivated to enter my first online sewing contest because I absolutely love Pantone’s Spring Color palette. In particular, I really like the grayed jade which surprised me, since I usually HATE green. But this shade of green is just so springy, clean, and fresh and was the basis of my outfit.
I bought stretch cotton twill in grayed jade with the intention of making it into a pair of Colette’s Clover pant. However, after making a muslin I realized that getting the pants to fit properly, it was going to be a major project (which surprised me given that Colette’s Iris shorts fit so great without alterations!).
So, it was back to the drawing board with my cotton twill which I definitely wanted to use for the outfit. Eventually, I decided that a jade blazer was going to be the most versatile garment I could make with the fabric. I ended up using McCall’s 6711, shown below.
It turned out to be very easy to make. I decided not to line it because I was running out of time and because I wasn’t sure whether I would like it in the end. Terrible decision. Halfway through, I realized that I liked the blazer and it fit well and that I needed to spend more time on the interior finishes – hence the bias tape on some of the interior seams.
I finally learned how to use my blind hem foot (on the dress too) – turned out it wasn’t too terrible!
I already wore the blazer to a Macklemore concert on Friday with my favorite peplum top and got a few compliments.
Now that I had a blazer for the contest, I still had to make another garment and decided on BurdaStyle’s Sweetheart Dress (#116) which I fell in love with at first sight.
I searched online a LOT for the right fabric to make this dress. I knew I wanted a stretch cotton sateen that (obviously) incorporated the Pantone Colors. I intended on getting a floral print but couldn’t find suitable fabric and after a lot of time searching, I found two potential prints (shown below) from a vendor on Etsy called fabricsandtrimmings. They were GREAT – I ordered on Thursday and the fabric arrived Monday morning.
The dress came together pretty easily. I had to make a few alterations on the bodice
- Shortened the bodice by 5/8″
- Raised the neckline by 1″
- Lowered the top of the bodice back by 1″
- Removed 1.5″ from the top of the back bodice piece (which I tapered down to the waist which fit fine)
I decided to use the skirt that came with the pattern, although I don’t think it is the most flattering for me since I don’t have hips. I’ll definitely make the bodice again (fits SO comfortable) but will change the skirt.
You can barely see it on the exterior!
This was me demonstrating that I’m not pregnant as the above picture may suggest.
Ruby joined the photoshoot!
The tones of the picture might not completely match, but I can assure I spent a lot of time making sure to get the right colors!!