Dresses for Mexico

I’m going went to Mexico (Thanks to my parents)! It had been a while since I’ve been on a nice, relaxing vacation and it will be nice to get away from the dogs, works, and winter down in Puerto Vallerta with my family.

When I learned we were going, I immediately began thinking about sundresses I should make for the trip. I couldn’t being working on them until after Christmas though because I had to finish gifts first. So, unfortunately, I didn’t make as many things as I would have liked. But I really like the dresses that I did manage to pull together in time.

1) Paisley Voile Cover-Up

I knew that in Mexico we would be spending a lot of time by the pool and I was going to need a coverup. I used an online tutorial from Bored & Crafty blog (here) for “a VERY simple beach coverup”. And simple it was! It was really quite easy, easy to follow, and FREE! The fabric is a paisley cotton voile from Mood and was really nice to sew with.

Finished product: I know it looks slightly weird on the dressform as my body isn’t fuzzy or red (or have an adjustable dial for my chest) but it really fits great and is very comfortable. 

The back has a lot of fabric bunched together along the waistline which I wasn’t sure about at first but ended up looking fine.


The sides are left completely open – I could have closed them but decided that I would make it simple.

And Dan’s favorite part – the ‘bones’ as he calls them.IMG_0021

I’ve been requested to how many one for my aunt Trudy. Mom – you need to buy me fabric for the project!

2) Ikat Cut-Out Sleeves Crepe de Chine Dress

I bought this crepe de chine fabric last summer from Fashion Fabrics Club (link here, I love Ikat) and have been way too intimidated by soft, flowy material since to use it. But I finally built up the courage to make something with it. I chose to make a Cynthia Rowley pattern from Simplicity (2406). It a loose fitting dress with cut out shoulder sleeves and a deep slit down the back.

It definitely wasn’t easy to cut or sew but I made some improvements during the process. Halfway through I remembered that I purchased some Sullivan’s Spray Fabric Stabilizer based on recommendations online – it really worked like a dream and drastically improved my ability to work with the fabric. You just spray it on, let it dry or iron it, and then it comes off with washing. I found that it wears off while manipulating and using the fabric anyway, but is still remarkable and very helpful.


The dress came together pretty easily – would have been even faster if it weren’t for the fabric. I had to line the dress because the fabric was a little too flimsy for my taste.


The deep slit down the back. I’m thinking I should have shortened the slit because it goes even lower than a belt at the waist, oh well, it doesn’t gape open so not too revealing.

IMG_0029Just to show how low the slit is cut…

Now the open shoulder sleeves. As I started making the dress I really wasn’t sure whether I could keep with the sleeves or pick a different view that went strapless. In the end, I’m really happy that I kept the sleeves, I think they add a really nice and interesting touch that the dress would have been lacking. It’s a great, lightweight, summery dress that worked perfectly in Mexico.

Of course, I simply HAD to buy a patent blue skinny belt to accessorize the dress…

IMG_0032 IMG_0033

Not sure whether I’ll make the pattern again. The sleeves are definitely interesting and I like them more than I anticipated. Could see myself making it in a solid color either as the dress or shortened to just a top.